Yellow peeps, what would you think the first time you read the title?
I would say, YUMMY!
For many, chicken feet tend to be avoided, but for many of us – Asian, it could be transfer into a delicious healthy foods (can be our movie night snacks, side dishes or a compliment for chicken stock. We have many different ways to savour it). Amongst the other chicken dishes, I would say chicken feet has its own place on my lists.
Okay, Pickled Chicken Feet is one of Sichuan foods, it’s spicy, savoury and tangy at the same time. Now, I’d share a little recipe with chicken feet being the star. Hoho… it’s simple and effortless. Best companion to cold beers (don’t overeating nor over drinking, agree?). Oh I will adjust the spicy level to meet my taste.
What would you need?
- 300 gr chicken feet (rinse it in running water), you may cut it halves with sharp ceaver if you like a smaller pieces
- 1 cup of pickled chillies (I made mine in advance)
- 1 teasp of Sichuan peppercorns
- 5-10 pcs dried chillies (got it from supermarket)
- Salt & sugar to taste
- Icy water
- Chopped pickled chillies
- 1 tbsp rice cooking wine Shao Xing Wine)
- 4 cloves
- 4 bayleaves
- 1 big gingerroot (smashed)
- 3 star anises
- 1 black cardamom pod (I used white ones)
Let’s start cooking!
- Wrap and tie up a spice bag (you may use a coffee filter too, make sure to tighten it up) with star anise, cardamom pod, ginger root, sichuan peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves.
- Add to large pot along with water, spice bag, rice cooking wine and chicken feet. Cook over high heat until the water boiled and then bring the heat into medium low, cook it for another 15-20 minutes.
- Discard the spice bag. Rinse the chicken feet with icy water. You may cut the chicken feet into halves prior the cooking or after it is cooked.
- On a large bowl (I prefer glass container, so I can store it in my fridge rightaway), add chicken feet along with chopped pickled juice and chillies, salt and sugar, icy water. Mix it well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Your pickled chicken feet is ready to serve.
Hope you’d like to try and like it. Hit me on comment, should you have any questions.